We live in a society that's filled with expectations about how we should live our lives. From a young age, we're taught to follow a certain path. Typically that path is to go to school, graduate, get a job, get married, buy a house, have kids, and retire. We’re taught to prioritize external achievements over internal fulfillment. But what if there was another way to live?
What if you could identify your passions, ignore societal expectations, and create a life that truly fulfills you? In this blog post, we'll dig a little deeper into this question and provide some practical tips for getting started. It’s never too late to begin choosing in the direction of passion and fulfillment.
Identifying Your Passions
Identifying your passions is a crucial first step in creating a life that truly fulfills you. These are the things that make you feel alive, energized, and excited about life. They're the things that you could do for hours on end without getting bored or tired.
So how do you identify your passions? Here are some questions to help you get started:
- What makes you lose track of time?
- What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
- What did you love to do as a child?
- What are you naturally good at?
- What do people often come to you for advice or help with?
Take some time to reflect on these questions and write down your answers. Your passions may be related to your career, your hobbies, your relationships, or any other aspect of your life. The important thing is that they're aligned with your values and bring you a sense of joy and fulfillment.
If you would like to do a deeper dive, visit www.thepassiontest.com
Ignoring Societal Expectations
Once you've identified your passions, the next step is to ignore societal expectations and create a life that's true to you. This can be easier said than done, as we're often bombarded with messages from society about what we should be doing with our lives.
But the truth is, you don't have to follow the traditional path of school, job, marriage, and kids if that's not what brings you happiness, joy and fulfillment. You don't have to prioritize external achievements over internal fulfillment. You can create a life that's aligned with your passions, even if it looks different from what society expects.
Here are some practical tips for ignoring social norms and cultural conditioning and creating a life that's true to you:
1. Be Yourself
The first step in ignoring societal expectations is to be yourself. Embrace your unique qualities and strengths, and don't try to be someone you're not. It's okay to be different from the people around you. In fact, your uniqueness is often what makes you stand out and shine.
2. Make Your Passions a Priority
Once you know what your passions are, make them a priority in your life. When faced with a decision, choose in the direction of your passions. Don't let society’s expectations or other people's opinions hold you back from pursuing what brings you joy and fulfillment.
3. Surround Yourself with Supportive People
It's important to surround yourself with people who support and encourage you in your pursuit of your passions and your uniqueness. Seek out like-minded individuals who share your values and passions, and who will cheer you on as you follow your dreams.
4. Take Risks
Creating a life that's true to you often requires taking risks and stepping outside of your comfort zone. Don't be afraid to try new things or pursue opportunities that scare you. Take small steps. Lean into it and on your support system. You never know what amazing things might happen when you take a chance and choose in the direction of your passion.
So what does it look like to identify your passions and ignore societal expectations in real life? Here are a few examples of real people who found a way to lean into their passions:
- Lisa is a woman who's always loved animals. She decided to quit her corporate job and start a dog-walking business. She spends her days surrounded by furry friends and feels a sense of purpose and fulfillment that she never experienced in her corporate career.
- Mike is a young man who's always been interested in music but found himself working as a construction worker with a local contractor. An on the job accident forced him to reconsider his life and his options. While he was recovering, he started to write songs. Eventually he decided to pursue his passion for songwriting. He began playing small gigs at local venues in a resort town. An agent saw him play and connected him to contact that helped him land a record deal Now he's now living his dream of making a living through his music.
- A couple who's always felt pressured to get married and start a family by their mid twenties decide to prioritize their own happiness over societal expectations. They travel the world picking up part time, remote or volunteer work in exchange for spending money, food and lodging. Now that the pandemic traveling restrictions have relaxed they just expanded their itinerary to include different countries. The enjoy exploring the world as well as each other's company and no longer feel the pressure of starting a family.
Identifying your passions and ignoring societal expectations can be a scary and challenging journey, but it's also one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself. When you follow your heart and your passions, you create a life that's true to you and feel a sense of joy and fulfillment that goes way beyond any external achievements. So what is your next step towards living your life according to your passions? Now take that step! Who knows where it may lead you and what magic is about to unfold.